Title: Teaching Fellow
Reports to: Lead Teacher
Created Date: 12/06/2018
Updated Date: 12/06/2018
Title: Teaching Fellow
FLSA Classification: Part-time
Salary Range: $22/per hour
Duration: 7 months
Étoile Academy Charter School, an independent 5th-8th grade charter school in Houston, is seeking an ambitious, smart, and high-capacity individual to join our team as a part-time student recruiter. Étoile Academy is founded on the belief that all students can learn and achieve at high levels when held to the highest expectations— regardless of their race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, zip code, or home language. We will ensure that every student in grades 5 through 8 has the academic and character foundation necessary to succeed in high school, graduate from college, and pursue ambitious life goals.
Founding Teaching Fellow
The Founding Teaching Fellow will have a wide range of roles, be able to learn about both instruction and operations in the school, and be developed for a lead teacher position. This individual most be adaptable as the role will include a wide variety of tasks from classroom teaching, to supporting operations, and engaging families. This is a great opportunity to join the network, receive development, and try on a variety of roles.
The Teaching Fellow will have the following key responsibilities.
- Teaching ELA (1 day per week) and Fitness classes (2 days per week) following Etoile’s curriculum and ensuring students show mastery of the TEKS.
- Setting and maintaining high expectations for behavior in classrooms and hallways.
- Supporting the lead teacher with student discipline, follow up with families, and students on behavior plans.
- Supporting with small group instruction, reading intervention, and providing one on one support for struggling learners.
- Supporting with recruitment and enrollment of new students for 18-19 school year including going out to recruit families, leading tours, and following up through phone calls and emails.
- Ensuring that after school programming on Wednesday’s and Friday’s follows all school expectations and that students are engaged in academic work and interventions.
- Communicating effectively with students, families, and colleagues;
- Responding to family concerns promptly and effectively;
- Participating actively when needed in department meetings, faculty meetings, and other meetings;
- Managing phones (answer calls, re-direct calls, take messages, place calls, create school announcements, etc.);
- Managing mail (distribute received mail, prepare school mailings, make mail drops, etc.);
- Managing school wide daily systems (manage student attendance, manage the Homework Center and Detention lists, etc.);
- Helping to plan and manage logistics and preparations for school events and activities as needed (make photocopies, set up for special events, make phone calls to confirm attendance, etc.);
- Helping administer and manage National School Breakfast program, National School Lunch Program, and snacks;
- Completing all necessary school wide duties for the successful and orderly functioning of the school (e.g., hallway supervision, arrival/departure transitions, participation in field trips, etc.) and other such duties as the school leaders may from time to time request;
- Providing consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior to ensure that students observe the School’s core values, high expectations, and strict code of conduct;
- Sharing responsibility for grade-level and school-wide activities;
- Performing other related duties as requested and assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- Fluency in English and Spanish preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with a diverse staff
- Alignment with school’s mission to ensure that every student in grades 5 through 8 has the academic and character foundation necessary to succeed in high school, graduate from college, and pursue ambitious life goals.
- Demonstrated application of Étoile Academy’s core values: Respect, Excellence, Ambition, Community, and Hard work.
To join our team, please complete the steps below: Send an email to email@example.com with the following:
1. A resume that outlines your candidacy
2. A response to the following question in no more than 250 words. Include responses in the body of the email:
Given what you know about this role, what do you anticipate being your greatest challenge and why?
Étoile Academy is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.